Thursday, January 19, 2006

Fun with the Foreign

Yesterday was a pretty wild ride. I had a really busy day at work, with people from Fortune 500+ companies from France and locally expecting everything, and had an order as I had my hand on the doorknob to travel the long distance upstairs for my commute home. Shanart received a interesting phone call saying there were some people on their way over to have her produce a character sketch for them. In the meantime I found Goonies on TV and had fun watching the last part of the show (I love the part when they find the loot in the pirate ship). These people call and state that they can't find our house, so I go outside with the phone and give them directions to our door. Here comes a group of college age guys piling out of the car. They introduce themselves with names I couldn't pronounce and follow me inside. I stuck around while Shanart was meeting with them, as I wasn't comfortable with that situation (Shanart wasn't either). Anyway, the guys are from Turkey and Greece and they want this character sketch done for a friends birthday with a total of 5 characters and a bubble so they can write inside jokes to this birthday boy.
So let the bargaining begin.....

Shannon tells them her thoughts and what would make it look nicer than your normal character sketch (she usually does old master portrait sketches-very nice check www.shannonwhite.com ) and her pricing based on sizing etc. They looked surprised and said that it was more than they had for their budget. We haggled back and forth changing size and price for a while and then the real fun began. One of the Turkish guy's said, "I will give you some Turkey bedsheets" to cover the difference of what you want and what we can afford, especially if you make me look handsome!" I about trying not to laugh. We talked a little more and decided that between the two offers he made (the other was for Turkish wine) we decided to approve this barter and she is scheduled to start on it today! Ha! Turkish sheets!
As I am in the middle of sitting down to eat a late supper (because of our guests) the phone rings. It is my friend (our friendship international student) who just arrived back from break from Taiwan. His buddy and he had a miscommunication and he and his girlfriend are stuck at the airport. I took Sister & we went and picked up BigJ and Yoki, so we didn't get back till after 10. It was great to meet Yki for the first time, she seems very sweet. In fact Sister and she had a great time on the way back even though they couldn't really communicate. Sister giggled for almost the whole ride.

When I got home, Shanart and I watched a little bit of Iron Chef (which we love and I ate some sushi during it), and then after that we watched a rerun we never saw of this fashion design show which I wouldn't think I would be in least interested in, but it is very creative. It bugs me that the majority of the guys on this show are so openly gay. It frustrates me because it kind of insinuates that you have to be gay to be creative if you are a male. This is another blog, I can feel it. The guy below is sure eccentric!

2 Comments:

Blogger shakedust said...

Haggling for a Turkish bedsheet? That's a new one.

It frustrates me as well that creative males are stereotyped as gay or at least flamboyant. I think it keeps a lot of very creative guys from honing and expressing their creativity.

1:19 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I agree. I hate it that all stereotypes for creativity for males must be gay stereotypes. It is time for us to take them back.

Those turkish sheets look cool.

You should remove your comment moderation, so that we can see comments.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home